Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Could I have a little help here please!

We went to Hastings, Nebraska, to shop.  That was always one of our favorite things to do.  When we got to 2nd Street, which is their main street, the street was closed and some kind of expo was going on.  The police were there with some of their equipment on display.  The fire department had personnel and equipment on display.  There were booths of all kinds of exhibits.  Parking was only available on the side streets.  We had to park quite a ways from downtown.

I had recently gotten lineless trifocal glasses and was still having a little problem mastering steps.  I was told to watch my step so I would not fall down.  So there I was, strolling across the street just a few feet from the police display.  I miscalculated the curbing, tripped and fell to the ground, giving my ankle a nasty turn.  I sat there groaning in pain, nearly in tears, rubbing my ankle and muttering naughty words.  People strolled by and just looked at me and went on.  And the police didn't come over to help me up, or ask if I was okay.  Nobody did anything.  I got up and started hobbling the long trip back to the car.  I couldn't put weight on the injured ankle, so I hopped the whole way.

My ankle soon swelled and had turned all different colors.  There was purple, red, yellow, and as time went on, there was some green mixed in.  I didn't have it x-rayed or anything.  I was pretty sure nothing was broken.  But I did feel badly that not one person gave a hoot about me.  I'll say one thing, I'm glad I was not having a heart attack.  I'll carry this grudge to my grave.  But it least I will stop and offer help to someone if it looks like they need it.

1 comment:

  1. How is your ankle? Are you still hopping? Here's hoping you are not hopping.

    ReplyDelete