Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Looking For My Twin

"They" said, you must have a hobby when you retire, or you'll go nuts! That may be true for some folks, but not for me. I loooove retirement. I figure if you can't be comfortable with just your thoughts, that you have to be busy busy busy to distract yourself from whatever, then your brain and my brain are wired differently. I say that with all due respect. I can't believe there isn't at least one other person out there that is wired just like me. My "twin" of sorts.

How I would love to meet up with my twin. Retirement would be twice as fun. I can't imagine what it would be like to be totally in sync with another human being. You would never have to worry about saying something wrong. We'd have our own little codes, be it just a certain look or expression, and we'd know exactly what was going on in the other's head. We could carry on whole conversations in public and no one would have a clue. Me and my twin would lay out in the yard at night and watch the night sky and listen to the night sounds. We would try to identify constellations and stars and planets. We would watch for meteor showers, comets, eclipses, northern lights; all things celestial. Then we could discuss space and what might be out there in all those other galaxies. Then we would discuss quantum physics (λ,ξ,π,ψ) you know, all that stuff. At night, the coyotes howl. I've heard what sounded like a whole pack of coyotes howling, and I wondered what was making them howl. My twin would be just as curious as I. My twin and I would not be gourmet cooks, or meticulous housekeepers. Eating straight out of the can would do just as well for us, as dining on fine china. We would play on the computer, or watch TV, or read books. Each day it becomes clearer that our days are numbered, and we would want to learn everything there is to learn before we have to go. We would go dancing, go to symphonic concerts, laugh at stupid things. We would wonder why we didn't take advantage of our youth and learn to speak other languages, learn to play an instrument really well. We would try over and over again to comprehend that space has no boundary, no beginning, no end.

Like looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, I will keep looking for my twin. I hope she is looking for me.

1 comment:

  1. After reading this, it sounds like I am looking for a lesbian friend. Although I have known some very nice homosexual people, that's not what this posting is about. I am looking for a friend that is like me in spirit. So all you insecure hetero's can relax. I have a husband and have no plans to change my sexual orientation.

    ReplyDelete