Monday, January 18, 2010

You sounded crabby last time I saw you!

That's what doc said to me last time I saw him? "I did?" I replied. "I'm sorry" said I. "Well, maybe not crabby (pause) yes, you were crabby" he said.

Maybe I was a little out of sorts that day, but doc was not the cause of it. Obviously he took it personally. I had communicated something to him that was not intended.

There are so many ways to communicate and those on the receiving end are sensitive to anything that is seemingly negative. Other forms of communication intermingled with our words are, facial expression and body language, intonation and attitude, all of which can give incorrect signals to the other person.

If you are having a conflagration with someone, then I guess it doesn't matter what signals you give them. In normal conversation one must be cognizant of all aspects of communication, not just the words. It's possible a potential employer will notice your keen ability to self express.





No comments:

Post a Comment