Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Pumpkin Pie Story

Grandma (Bessie) Burton was a wonderful cook. I loved going to Burr Oak to see Grandpa and Grandma, and enjoy one of Grandma's gourmet meals. Grandma's house was the only place I ever was served duck. She grew and preserved most of the vegetables they ate. She made jellies and jams and pickled anything that could be pickled. She made good pies, especially pumpkin pies. Sometimes they were sweet potato pies, but I couldn't tell the difference.

When a good cook made something I really liked, I hated it when they messed with it by trying a different version of the recipe. Being the adventurous cook she was, Grandma was not immune to these need to find something different to eat.

Grandma hosted this one particular Thanksgiving dinner. I was looking forward to her usual fare, especially the dessert, pumpkin pie. After the main meal was finished, she proudly carried from the kitchen her specialty pie. Then to my horror, she announced she had make a chiffon pumpkin pie. I'd never heard of chiffon pumpkin pie. I was desperately hoping it would be as good as her old standard pumpkin pie. I anxiously awaited for my piece of pie to be set before me. When all were served, I picked up my fork and took a bite of the pie. I hated it. It was fluffy and it just didn't taste right. Grandma was looking around the table making sure everyone loved the pie. No one said much, so I, being the polite little girl that I was, told her it was delicious. I told her I really liked it, overdoing it a bit in order to hide my real opinion. Oh boy! Was that ever a mistake. From that day forth Grandma made especially for me, a chiffon pumpkin pie every Thanksgiving.

Well, there just is no way to correct a situation like this, especially after me not saying anything for years and years. She made regular pies for everyone else, but I was obligated to eat chiffon pumpkin pie. They were made especially for me. That is the only good thing that made them bearable. She thought I was worth making a pie especially for me.

I have remembered the pumpkin pie story endearingly. But you can be assured, I have never made a chiffon pumpkin pie and I never will.

No comments:

Post a Comment